Saturday, February 27, 2016

How I decided to become a cook in Belgium

“In my late teens, when I was deciding where to continue my education/which career to choose/to pursue, I wanted to pursue hotel management, but my parents did not support my choice. On the one hand, it was much too expensive and on the other, “boys don't cook” (at least not in the Marwadi community where I come from). Being so young, I didn't have much say in the decision and I choose business studies, mostly because I did not like science and this was the only other interesting option. After getting my degree I spent many years working for a large company as head of the HR department, before fate decided she wasn’t done with me and offered me another chance.The difference this time was that the decision was up to me. Nobody could make it for me … and I had decided: I’m taking this chance. I need to try and live my dream.


After dreams came the practical bit: I had to investigate how I can start working as a cook and what format of “restaurant” I should (or rather could) have. Some more visits of various government bodies later my plan was set: I decided to start my own food truck. Yes, a food truck. Something that I always thought was WOW! And now I would have one of my own.The next step was getting licensed as a cook. Yes, in Belgium you need a formal paper stating you can cook if you want to handle food preparation in any way. This is besides all the health and safety papers that are needed for running a food business.

So I had to find a good institute that would take care of the formal education part, but would also provide me with the best result for the money and time I was going to invest into it. After much investigation and discussions with people, the decision was made - I was going for the best cooking school in Belgium. And not only that, it was in an even more famous place than Ghent. But more on that next time …

No comments:

Post a Comment